Servings: 4 – Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to the package directions.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and onion and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the flour and garlic powder. Continue stirring the mixture until it is light golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly mix in the milk. Allow the sauce to simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheddar until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.
- Mix the cheese sauce with the quinoa until evenly combined and serve.
Adapted from Annie’s Eats’ Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole recipe.
Servings: 4 – Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- sliced Provolone cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions to skillet with a pinch of sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Stir in thyme and cook for about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high, add cooking wine, and stir frequently until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- To assemble the sandwiches, evenly distribute the caramelized onions over 4 slices of bread. Top with Provolone cheese and remaining bread slices. Grill the sandwiches over medium-high heat with the same skillet used to caramelize the onions, turning once and heating until the bread is lightly browned on each side and the cheese is melted.
Adapted from Annie’s Eats’ French Onion Grilled Cheese recipe.