Servings: 4 – Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups macaroni pasta
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to the package directions.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and onion and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the flour and garlic powder. Continue stirring the mixture until it is light golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly mix in the milk. Allow the sauce to simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheddar until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.
- Mix the cheese sauce with the pasta until evenly combined and serve.