Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Today I’m sharing my grandmother’s recipe for soda bread. Enjoy!
Makes 1 loaf; Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut butter into 1-inch sections and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add buttermilk and raisins and stir to combine.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in cake pan. Flatten the ball so it reaches the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar, cut an “X” in the top, and bake for 40 minutes.