Ever since I stopped eating meat, I’ve been looking for a meatless/vegetarian version of a meatball sub. These sandwiches really hit the spot and are a great substitution. While my boyfriend is a meat and sauerkraut kind of guy and these meatless substitutions aren’t the same for him, I definitely did not miss the meatballs at all.
Servings: 4 Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- black pepper
- 4 sandwich rolls
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, and onions and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce, basil and oregano and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly divide mushroom mixture over 4 rolls. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Turn on oven broiler and place sandwiches on a baking sheet. Heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Adapted from MyFoodDiary.com.