Servings: 4 – Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk egg in a bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes on each side.
- In a 9-in x 13-in baking dish, spread spaghetti sauce in a thin layer on the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients with cheese as the last layer on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- While eggplant bakes, cook pasta according to package directions. Serve eggplant over pasta.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com’s Eggplant Parmesan II recipe.