Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 12 Halloween Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
- 1 + 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
For the decoration:
- 12 Oreo cookie halves
- candy pumpkins
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Separate the Oreo cookies so that you have 12 chocolate disks without cream filling on them. Snip the sides of the 12 disks on a diagonal with a pair of scissors so that the sides are flat and not rounded.
- Line the wells of one cupcake pan with 12 paper liners. Place the Oreo halves with cream filling on them at the bottom of the cupcake wells, cream side up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chopped Oreos until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 23 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting,combine cream cheese and butter in a bowl. Blend in vanilla extract. Beat in the powdered sugar until incorporated. Add the heavy cream and beat until incorporate. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Scoop the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Cut a slit at the back of each cupcake and insert the Oreo tombstone. Place the candy pumpkin next to the tombstone.