Servings: 4 – Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, sliced with stems and gills removed
- 1 large or 2 medium bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 buns
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, oregano, and black pepper. Cook for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove skillet from heat. Spread vegetables in an even layer and place 4 slices of provolone cheese on top so that the cheese slices cover all the vegetables. Cover the skillet and allow cheese to melt.
- Using a spatula, scoop the vegetables covered by 1 slice of cheese onto a bun. Repeat for remaining 3 buns.
Adapted from EatingWell’s Portobello “Philly Cheese Steak” Sandwich recipe.