Servings: 4 – Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- sliced Provolone cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions to skillet with a pinch of sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Stir in thyme and cook for about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high, add cooking wine, and stir frequently until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- To assemble the sandwiches, evenly distribute the caramelized onions over 4 slices of bread. Top with Provolone cheese and remaining bread slices. Grill the sandwiches over medium-high heat with the same skillet used to caramelize the onions, turning once and heating until the bread is lightly browned on each side and the cheese is melted.
Adapted from Annie’s Eats’ French Onion Grilled Cheese recipe.