Servings: 4 - Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 eggplant slices, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough or country bread
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant slices and sauté for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, place about 1/8 of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses on the bottom slice of bread. Layer the cooked eggplant and tomato slices on top. Place another 1/8 of the cheeses and the second slice of bread.
- Brush olive oil onto grill or panini press. Place sandwich on grill or press and heat until cheese has melted.
Adapted from the New York Times’ Grilled Eggplant Panini recipe.